Forums Community Rules Questions State Trooper PIT Maneuver

Topic: State Trooper PIT Maneuver

Brandon Wilson
    Participant

1) When you collide with another car and declare a PIT maneuver, does the defending car get to try and evade?

2) After choosing the maneuver template for the PIT, does the owner of the car you’re “PIT-ing” get to choose which direction they resolve it?

3) Is a PIT considered a SMASH attack for the purposes of Slip-Away?

Brandon Wilson
    Participant

I guess I would assume that the wording “instead of a smash attack” would imply that the pit maneuver doesn’t follow normal smash rules? Then nothing would trigger as a result?

But in order to do the pit, you have to declare a smash during the declare reactions step. So maybe the defender can still declare an evade? I don’t know… :/

Brandon Wilson
    Participant

After reading the rules a bit more carefully, it would appear that, during a collision, the attacker declares its reaction first. This means, if declaring a PIT maneuver, it would probably exit the collision sequence altogether. Seems fine for question #1.

As for #2, the wording on the PIT states that the “target vehicle resolves” the maneuver. So I figured this meant that the target vehicle would also get to choose the facing. However, there has been some disagreement among my gaming group. Any insights here would help…

KoalaT53
    Participant

Brandon, I believe you are mistaken in your interpretation. The rules for the PIT state: “PIT (4 Cans): If this vehicle is involved in a collision with an enemy vehicle during its activation that is not head-on, it may declare a “Pursuit Intervention Technique” (PIT) against the enemy vehicle instead of declaring a SMASH ATTACK or an evade. If this vehicle declares a PIT, it may select any maneuver template the target vehicle considers hazardous in its current gear. The target vehicle must immediately resolve a movement step, during which it is forced to must use the maneuver template selected for it and may not roll any skid dice.”
    By “resolve a movement step,” the rules mean that the target vehicle performs that chosen maneuver, without being allowed to roll the skid dice. If I’m using the Highway Patrol as a sponsor, and one of my cars collides with one of yours on any facing other than head-on, I could declare a PIT and choose a template that’s going to create a hazard for your vehicle. You would then use that template to move your vehicle, without rolling the dice. IF you collide with something before reaching the end of the template, then you would follow the collision rules. Otherwise, you would move your vehicle to the end of the template, still without rolling any dice. This means you would NOT be able to choose the facing of your vehicle, since that would require a “Spin” result from the dice (which you haven’t been allowed to roll.) I hope this answers your question.
    As an added note, the PIT is ineffective against vehicles in gears 1 & 2, as there are NO maneuvers that provide any hazards in those gears.

Brandon Wilson
    Participant

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it. The facing I was referring to, however, was the facing of the maneuver, not the vehicle. For example, if I am playing the highway patrol, and I tailgate a car in gear three, and I chose for them to resolve a hairpin maneuver, do i get to decide if they orient the hairpin to the left or the right, or does my target chose?

KoalaT53
    Participant

Personally, I’m inclined to say that the attacker would be allowed to determine the direction of the maneuver template. If all else fails, remember “Rule of carnage.”

Weirdo
    Participant

It just says the attacker chooses a template, and the target must make a move using that template.

To me, it says the target gets to choose the template’s orientation. It’s up to the PITcher to select a template that gives him a myriad of bad choices. Hard turns when he obviously wants to keep going straight, stuff that forces a collision, you get the gist. Despite the rough and tumble brutality of this game, there’s also a lot of subtle strategy in it as well.

KoalaT53
    Participant

Again, remember the “Rule of Carnage.” If you want to play it that way, I won’t argue with you (unless I get into a game with you, which is unlikely.) But our group is going to go with the attacker choosing the direction of the maneuver template.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.