Forums Community Rules Questions Shooting and Elevation

Topic: Shooting and Elevation

DMmeepo
    Participant

I had a question about shooting and I apologize if it’s already been covered but I couldn’t find anything.
    What are the rules for shooting at targets above or below you, like if someone is driving down a road and they shoot at a target going across an overpass like in a + shape or vice versa?

Adran
    Participant

I don’t think there are any rules for things like overpasses. Gaslands is written almost entirely 2d in regards to things like LOS and shooting.

Some of it probably depends on the exact terrain you have, but I’d probably allow you to shoot onto the overpass as long as you aren’t under it. Or if it has high walls, you can’t shoot models on the overpass unless you are on it yourself.
    Make it clear and simple, and as obvious as possible.

Glenn
    Participant

Don’t worry, it hasn’t been covered and you’ve not missed anything. There are no rules for shooting at something above or below you in Gaslands. If someone is on an overpass its a pretty safe bet they’d get some solid cover, but frankly its too rare of a situation to have its own rules set (even the cover and terrain rules that there are get little use most of the time). If you have the sort of terrain where it comes up a lot I’d just make the range rules relate to requiring that the range measure can touch both cars rather than just overlap them.

DMmeepo
    Participant

Thanks for the answers. I’m just getting into the game and building terrain for it and thought it might be a cool design for a few different scenarios, one of the most obvious being a figure 8 death race, but I guess I’ll just stick to ramps or some such. Thanks again!

Adran
    Participant

The figure 8 death race is a good idea for a track. You don’t need an overpass to do that, just a crossroads.
    I would recommend not a plane oval for death racing, as some crews can rely on trying to wreck the opposing teams to be able to win, and if the opposing team races out of sight and is never seen again, that doesn’t work so well. So something that brings the fast races near the slower cars again makes for a more balanced outcome. And the overpass sort of works against this as it stops the collisions in that area.

The overpass sounds like an very interesting piece of terrain, my thoughts are on its practicality. Firstly can you get most vehicles underneath it, and secondly how easy is it to traverse the overpass without crashing out. Oh and Thirdly can you get the height whilst still allowing cars to not slip on the slopes. If you can get something that works on these counts, then go for it, it will be a nice addition

DMmeepo
    Participant

Honestly I haven’t even played a single game yet so I’m not ready to house rule anything just yet but I definitely have some ideas for stuff once I get a few games going. Your concerns about the build are all easy to solve, just needs the right dimensions. I’d be more worried about the balance of it’s use for a balanced track, and the rules like shooting. First I want to build a board, some scatter terrain, and some vehicles. I haven’t finished any of it yet lol. But one thing I’m definitely looking forward to is some running highway style scenarios like the war rig ones for example. I thought the overpass might be handy there too but we’ll see.

Adran
    Participant

I’d say game balance is fairly robust, and the biggest issues are practical ones. I have a product called Terraclips that has walkways and such, and it uses a 6″ ramp to get up to a 2″ high overpass and they had to put non slip sections on that to allow 30mm models to not slide down. So that ends up being 18″ long already with only a 6″ gap to fit through in the middle. And its certainly high enough for cars, but I don’t think it would fit my double decker bus through, or some trailers on the back of war rigs. So whilst the issues are easy to solve, I would worry that too much of the table is being taken up with this once you have to meet the practical issues
    You also don’t want the overpass too narrow because it can be hard to perfectly line your car up on it so it doesn’t hit a side (Or fly off unintentionally).

As I said, it sounds like a cool idea. It could certainly look good on the table. But I would get some games in beforehand to understand the gameplay so you can make it playable rather than just cool looking and impractical.

DMmeepo
    Participant

Good advice of course. I’m still waiting for a few bits to come in before starting on making some cars, but in the meantime I have everything I need to start working on terrain. I’m hoping to make a variety of pieces to cover the different options for grounds, weights, destructibles, tall and short. You got any advice on which scenarios would best fit a modular ‘rolling’ highway setup where previous terrain tiles are removed from behind and new tiles are added in front?

Adran
    Participant

Funny you should ask that – The Blaster magazine that was just published with Martian Racing federation rules has a rolling road rules set for that. All thought its not terrain tiles, you move the features (and cars) down and add new features at the top.
    If I remember there was a sort of rolling road set up in the war rig scenario from Time extended (2?), but for practical reasons it isn’t actually a rolling road. It shouldn’t be too hard to play it as rolling road.
    I don’t think any of the generic game scenarios work that well with rolling road, as there is such a potentially huge speed difference that you need a reason why something like a bike doesn’t just shoot off into the distance right at the get go and leaves a pick up truck right out of the race. But it does work well for special scenarios, where you can use a slower Vehicle as the “timer” for the road rolling, which can still allow some things to be left behind, but doesn’t invalidate 2/3rds of the book choices. (So in the War rig scenario you have 3 board lengths to try and destroy the war rig, if it completes the 3 lengths before its destroyed, it wins that scenario. That would easily be converted to a rolling road rather than the mechanism of noting the turn in which a model left the table, and having it come on in a corresponding turn at the other end after you’ve cleared the table of stragglers)

Lunchmoney
    Participant

There’s scenarios in the rulebook that use a rolling road style; Express Delivery and the third part of the narrative campaign.

DMmeepo
    Participant

Awesome, good stuff. Thanks a lot guys!

Glenn
    Participant

Just to add to the above, if you’re thinking of doing a figure 8 track, its best just done on one level. A lot of the fun of Gaslands comes with some high speed smashy carnage and a flat figure of 8 allows back markers to ‘influence’ the race leaders. An elevated figure of 8 is pretty much just a loop. Shooting can be a big thing in Gaslands, but not every team is built for it, with a flat figure of 8 you give a chance to the smashers as well as the shooters.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.