Forums Community Rules Questions Gaslands-rpg hybrid.

Topic: Gaslands-rpg hybrid.

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

So I am going to try and get together 4 players to play a gaslands/rpg hybrid campaign, in which the four players each have one car and I will play the antagonist vehicles. I want to run the game in the gaslands setting, but I want to mix up the rules for “vehicle creation” a bit. I am posting this here because I was hoping you fine folks could use your creative juices to help! So I will post what I have so far and tell me what you guys think! If everything goes well, I may record these games and post them to youtube. Thanks a million guys!

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

The four horseman

This is a campaign setting forGaslands made for four players on the protagonists team and one player playing the opposition.

To begin with each of the four protagonists will build a 30 can medium or heavier vehicle and name the driver. Factions aren’t available, but perks are available in this setting, but are selected in a format unique to this campaign. Each perk will fall into a perk class and can only be purchased by a vehicle that meets its requirements(i.e. Stunt driver). The first class is vehicle perks, which are perks that directly upgrade the vehicle itself. The second class of perks are driver perks, which directly upgrades the driver’s capabilities. The third class of perks are passenger perks. Passenger perks are only available once the vehicle has a second crew member , and each vehicle may only take one passenger class. Passenger classes each come with a standard perk.

Perks list

Car-murder tractor, power slide, big tires, easy rider, expertise, hot start, overload, hell for leather, rocket thrusters, experimental nuclear engine, experimental teleporter, thumpermonkey-dynamo(? cost), pinball(? cost), rear drive, fender kiss, delicate touch, purring,

Driver-grinder man, evasive, slippery, trick driving, stunt driver, moment of glory, restraint, hand brake artist, slip stream, force transferral, skiing, momentum, pit, virtuoso(? cost), evasive maneuvers(? cost)

Passenger classes

The Gunner

Gunners are expert marksman that specialize in heavy weapons. Any vehicle with a gunner is sure to dish out some damage.

Well Stocked (standard): This team considers any weapon with the ammo 3 special rule to instead have the ammo 4 special rule when purchased.

Road Warrior (standard): If this vehicle successfully causes one or more hits on an enemy vehicle at any point during its activation, this vehicle may remove a single hazard token for free at the end of its activation.

-Broadside(? cans):During the attack step, any side facing weapons from this vehicle receive a +1 to hit.(?)

-Dead-Eye (3 Cans): During this vehicle’s attack step, up to three crewmembers in this vehicle may gain a +1 bonus to hit if making a shooting attack at a target within double range and not within medium range. Critical hits still occur only on the natural roll of a 6.

-Fully Loaded (2 Cans): When this vehicle attacks with a shooting weapon that has 2 or more ammo tokens remaining, gain +1 attack die.

-Headshot (4 Cans): When making a shooting attack, this vehicle’s critical hits inflict 3 hits instead of the normal 2 hits.

-Loader (2 Cans): This vehicle may assign two crewmembers to a single weapon during the attack step to gain +1 to hit with that weapon. The second crewmember may not make a separate attack. Critical hits still occur only on the natural roll of a 6.

-Rapid Fire (2 Cans): Once per turn a single crewmember in this vehicle may shoot twice with the same weapon in a single attack step. When firing a weapon that has limited ammo in this way, each attack removes a separate ammo token.

-Return Fire (5 Cans): Once per gear phase, if this vehicle is the target of a shooting attack, this vehicle may take 2 hazard tokens to immediately attack, as if it was this vehicle’s attack step.

The Engineer
    (This is the class that I feel needs most work)
    An engineer is a jack of all trades, support crew member. Whatever it takes to get to the finish and be the last vehicle running, the engineer has it.

Heavy Metal (standard): The armor plating upgrade provides 4 hull points instead of 2.

Speed Demon (standard): When using Nitro, vehicles in this team only gain hazard tokens until they have 3 hazard tokens after each of the two activations, rather than the normal 5.

-Cargo Room(? cans):This vehicle gains an extra build slot.

-Mobile Mechanic (5 Cans): Once per turn,
    during the attack step, a single crewmember may be assigned to perform a FIELD REPAIR instead of attacking with a weapon. This vehicle gains 1 hull point, which may not take the remaining hull points above the vehicle’s hull value.

-Out Run (2 Cans): At the start of this vehicle’s attack step, all vehicles within short range of this vehicle and in a current, lower gear than this vehicle gain +1 hazard token.

-Powder Keg (1 Can): This vehicle may add +1 to its explosion check. Treat this vehicle as one weight-class heavier when it explodes.

-Chrome-Whisperer (2 Cans): This vehicle may push it any number of times during a single skid check, gaining +1 hazard token each time.

-Safety first(3 cans): Once per turn,during the attack step, a single crewmember may be assigned to perform a SAFETY INSPECTION instead of attacking with a weapon. This vehicle removes a single hazard token.

-(don’t know what to put here)

The Cavalier

A cavalier is a master of close range combat, and a practitioner of terror tactics.

-Brace For Impact (standard): After a smash attack involving this vehicle, subtract 1 Hull and 1 hazard from the damage this vehicle took.

-Madman (standard): At the end of this vehicle’s activation, if it has 4 or more hazard tokens, it may remove a hazard token and place it on another vehicle within medium range.

-Boarding Party (2 Cans): This vehicle ignores the distracted rule. Crewmembers in this vehicle may attack during the attack step even if the vehicle is distracted.

-Battlehammer (4 Cans): When making a smash attack, this vehicle gains +1 attack dice for each hazard token it currently has.

-Unnerving Eye Contact (5 Cans): Enemy vehicles within short range of this vehicle may not use shift results to remove hazard tokens from their dashboard.

-Taunt (2 Cans): At the start of this vehicle’s attack step, roll a skid die. If you roll something other than a SHIFT result, you may place that skid die result onto the dashboard of a target vehicle within short range. This skid die result must be resolved during that vehicle’s next skid check, and may not be re-rolled.

-Fist of Steel (4 Cans): This vehicle may take a hazard token to re-roll all its attack dice during a smash attack.

-Terrifying Lunatic (5 Cans): Whenever a vehicle controlled by another player ends its movement step within short range of this vehicle, the active vehicle gains a hazard token.

-Schadenfreude (2 Cans): If another vehicle within short range of this vehicle resolves a wipe out, (either before or after any flip), remove all hazard tokens from this vehicle.

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

Anywhere you see a question mark, I need help determining something, like the cost in cans for something.
    -I am thinking of dividing the driver perks into two different classes, to further differentiate vehicles.
    -I am also thinking of adding a fourth passanger class, but haven’t figured out what I want to do. Any ideas are welcome.
    -I am considering ideas on how to do progression. For instance, if someone has a turreted machine gun and wants to switch it to a turreted flamethrower, should I just subtract the cost of the turreted mg from the price of the upgrade to the flamethrower?
    -Any thing that you think should be moved from one perk class to another?

Zack C
    Participant

I don’t know too much about how to balance these (as I’ve been playing Gaslands sans perks for now) though a lot of them strike me as really strong. Also, I don’t know if this is the case already but it might be kinda neat to have perks be character specific – ie, a driver and passenger may have different perks and each perk only applies to the weapons that they are assigned.

Either way, I’d love to check out your game on youtube.

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

Well Zack I hope to get the game going this summer, and hopefully have it posted on youtube soon after! What exactly are you saying seems strong to you? Is it the perks in general, or the perk groups? Remember, this isn’t intended to be a competitive game. The scenarios are going to be geared more around a group driven narrative and don’t require balance. The reason I am grouping all the passengers into one perk class is to help balance (a bit) across vehicles. In particular, the performance car would suffer from this, being as it can only hold two passengers. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, let me know. Any players in the Kalamazoo Michigan area, let me know if you want to get in the game!

Zack C
    Participant

I was thinking that the perks in general seemed pretty strong but you’re absolutely right, if it’s not player vs player competitive then that’s nothing to worry about.

By the way, are you planning on using a ttrpg system of any sort to handle the game outside of the Gaslands battles? Thanks to your thread, I am very much pondering the possibilities of an Ultramodern 5 or FATE (as I have books of those two) / Gaslands mashup game.

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

Well Zack, I wasn’t planning on running a ttrpg outside of the gaslands games. The first problem I would have is how to have the players run characters. Do they play as just the driver of the vehicle, or all of the passengers as well? A van can have 6 people in it, that is a lot for one person to role play. Then the problem of pathing and pacing become huge issues. Do I railroad the players into decisions that get them into the scenarios I want them to be in? How do I plan for any sessions if I don’t do that? It is just too much to do I think without the two systems being one system. Then what happens when a player decision in the ttrpg affects their vehicle(or someone else’s) in the gaslands game?(I.E steals someones hard won turreted mini-gun) It is just a lot to account for, and this is kind of already an undertaking.

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

If I did, I would use FATE. The system is very dynamic and would be flexible enough to run parallel to another system. Though I am a 5e DM, I have no experience with ultramodern.

Zack C
    Participant

Agreed. A side ttrpg would just be strikingly daunting. I still might do it though 🙂

And I’ll add to your points about FATE that it would also be a lot less work to DM the thing.

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

This is my updated perks list. I just messed with the perk classes, mostly the engineer. Any suggestions are welcome. Any spot where there is a question mark I am specifically looking for input. Thanks.
    *(detailed in earlier post)

Car-murder tractor, power slide, big tires, easy rider, expertise, hot start, overload, hell for leather, rocket thrusters, experimental nuclear engine, thumpermonkey-dynamo(? cost), pinball(? cost), rear drive, fender kiss, delicate touch, purring, Cargo room*, Heavy plating*, powder keg

Driver-grinder man, evasive, slippery, trick driving, stunt driver, moment of glory, restraint, hand brake artist, slip stream, force transferral, skiing, momentum, pit, virtuoso(? cost), evasive maneuvers(? cost)

Passenger classes

The Gunner

Gunners are expert marksman that specialize in heavy weapons. Any vehicle with a gunner is sure to dish out some damage.

Well Stocked (standard): This team considers any weapon with the ammo 3 special rule to instead have the ammo 4 special rule when purchased.

Fully Loaded (passive): When this vehicle attacks with a shooting weapon that has 2 or more ammo tokens remaining, gain +1 attack die.

?-Broadside(4 cans):When this vehicle attacks with a side mounted shooting weapon gain +1 attack die.

-Dead-Eye (3 Cans): During this vehicle’s attack step, up to three crewmembers in this vehicle may gain a +1 bonus to hit if making a shooting attack at a target within double range and not within medium range. Critical hits still occur only on the natural roll of a 6.

-Road Warrior (2 cans): If this vehicle successfully causes one or more hits on an enemy vehicle at any point during its activation, this vehicle may remove a single hazard token for free at the end of its activation.

-Headshot (4 Cans): When making a shooting attack, this vehicle’s critical hits inflict 3 hits instead of the normal 2 hits.

-Loader (2 Cans): This vehicle may assign two crewmembers to a single weapon during the attack step to gain +1 to hit with that weapon. The second crewmember may not make a separate attack. Critical hits still occur only on the natural roll of a 6.

-Rapid Fire (2 Cans): Once per turn a single crewmember in this vehicle may shoot twice with the same weapon in a single attack step. When firing a weapon that has limited ammo in this way, each attack removes a separate ammo token.

-Return Fire (5 Cans): Once per gear phase, if this vehicle is the target of a shooting attack, this vehicle may take 2 hazard tokens to immediately attack, as if it was this vehicle’s attack step.

The Engineer(???)
    (This is the class that I feel needs most work)
    An engineer is a jack of all trades, support crew member. Whatever it takes to get to the finish and be the last vehicle running, the engineer has it.

?Counter measures(passive)-This vehicle cannot be lit on fire, and its crew cannot be disabled.

?Come one girl!(passive)-The first time this vehicle is reduced to 0 hull points, it is left with 1 hull instead.

?-Care Package(3 cans)-This vehicle gains a single “care package” ammo token. The care package is a dropped weapon that restores 2 hull points upon its template being overlapped by a vehicle.

-Mobile Mechanic (5 Cans): Once per turn,
    during the attack step, a single crewmember may be assigned to perform a FIELD REPAIR instead of attacking with a weapon. This vehicle gains 1 hull point, which may not take the remaining hull points above the vehicle’s hull value.

-Out Run (2 Cans): At the start of this vehicle’s attack step, all vehicles within short range of this vehicle and in a current, lower gear than this vehicle gain +1 1hazard token.

?-Scrap shield(2 cans)-Once per game, after being declared the target of a shooting attack, but before the attacks are rolled, this vehicle may cancel all hits and take one hull damage instead.

-Chrome-Whisperer (2 Cans): This vehicle may push it any number of times during a single skid check, gaining +1 hazard token each time.

?-Safety first(3 cans): Once per turn,during the attack step, a single crewmember may be assigned to perform a SAFETY INSPECTION instead of attacking with a weapon. This vehicle removes a single hazard token.

-Experimental Teleporter (7 Cans): At the start of this vehicle’s activation this vehicle may
    choose to activate the EXPERIMENTAL TELEPORTER. Gain 3 hazard tokens, and then roll
    a single skid die.
    • If the skid dice result is any result other than a hazard, place this vehicle anywhere within
    medium range of its current position, not touching an obstruction or terrain, and without
    altering the vehicle’s facing. This cannot cause a collision.
    • If the skid dice result is a hazard, the player to the left of the controller of the active vehicle
    places this vehicle anywhere within long range of its current position, not touching an
    obstruction or terrain, without altering its facing. This cannot cause a collision.

The Cavalier

A cavalier is a master of close range combat, and a practitioner of terror tactics.

-Brace For Impact (standard): After a smash attack involving this vehicle, subtract 1 Hull and 1 hazard from the damage this vehicle took.

-Madman (standard): At the end of this vehicle’s activation, if it has 4 or more hazard tokens, it may remove a hazard token and place it on another vehicle within medium range.

-Boarding Party (2 Cans): This vehicle ignores the distracted rule. Crewmembers in this vehicle may attack during the attack step even if the vehicle is distracted.

-Battlehammer (4 Cans): When making a smash attack, this vehicle gains +1 attack dice for each hazard token it currently has.

-Unnerving Eye Contact (5 Cans): Enemy vehicles within short range of this vehicle may not use shift results to remove hazard tokens from their dashboard.

-Taunt (2 Cans): At the start of this vehicle’s attack step, roll a skid die. If you roll something other than a SHIFT result, you may place that skid die result onto the dashboard of a target vehicle within short range. This skid die result must be resolved during that vehicle’s next skid check, and may not be re-rolled.

-Fist of Steel (4 Cans): This vehicle may take a hazard token to re-roll all its attack dice during a smash attack.

-Terrifying Lunatic (5 Cans): Whenever a vehicle controlled by another player ends its movement step within short range of this vehicle, the active vehicle gains a hazard token.

-Schadenfreude (2 Cans): If another vehicle within short range of this vehicle resolves a wipe out, (either before or after any flip), remove all hazard tokens from this vehicle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.