Forums Community Rules Questions Death ray wording?

Topic: Death ray wording?

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

So this description of the death ray states that if it scores more than 5 hits in one attack, it removes the receiving vehicle from play. The weapon only has 3d6 attack dice. Am I to assume that this meant more than 5 damage, not 5 or more hits?

Lunchmoney
    Participant

A roll of a natural 6 is a critical and causes 2 hits (page 30); meaning the Death Ray is capable of scoring 6 hits from 3d6. Though it is hard as the odds of scoring two 6’s and at least a 5 on the third dice (effectively 17+ on 3d6 if you want to look at that way) is 1.85% or 4 in 216 (total results on 3 d6) or 1 in 54 (to bring it down to a singular).

Lunchmoney
    Participant

There are a few perks to help. Headshot for eg gives 3 hits on a roll of 6, meaning you only need two of the dice to come 6’s.

Lunchmoney
    Participant

And reread your question and that is totally not what you asked. Sorry.

The weapon states 5 or more uncancelled hits will, instead of doing damage, remove the vehicle. So it’s 5+ hits as the damage become irrelevant.

Lunchmoney
    Participant

Went to edit, couldnt…
    5+ hits that aren’t evaded or cancelled in someway.

Adran
    Participant

Lunchmoney is right, most weapons convert hits into damage, but they all start off as hits to be evaded. (This matters more with weapons that don’t do damage as such, like the harpoon which has other effects based on the number of hits)
    So the wording of the weapon is correct, although viewing it as you need to do 5 damage gets you to the same place (obviously except the fact that the weapon would kill you before it does any damage by the rules)

CaptainThreeNames
    Participant

I looked back and the book clearly states that criticals add extra “hits” which must be evaded separately. I was more concerned that, with the wording, you could only get 3 hits even if you did 9 hull points of damage. I was mistaken, sorry gents.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.