Forums Community Rules Questions Braking?

Topic: Braking?

Murpagato
    Participant

So, obviously I am new to all of this – just picked up the Refuelled book (why not Refueled?)this past week, and am furiously modding vehicles and trying to learn the rules. Am I missing something, or is there really no braking option other than down shifting? I visualize something like hitting the brakes so your opponent passes you and enters your arc of fire, or slamming on brakes to avoid a collision – obviously with high probability for loss of control due to speed in the higher gears – but I have not come across anything like this yet. Am I overthinking things?

Glenn
    Participant

The only thing that is at all like that is the War Rig’s Tanker Anchor.

Generally though, no, there is no option for stopping moving in one gear phase of a turn then carrying on in another gear phase of the same turn. There are a bunch of reasons why, but the core of the answer is, that’s just not the Gaslands way. Fundamentally, in Gaslands moving again is pushing your luck, taking the risk and carrying on along the ragged edge, while stopping moving is playing it safe. In any push your luck gaming situation, once you bank, you’re out of the round, and in Gaslands stopping moving for the turn is a little like banking, it means you’re done for the round.

Adran
    Participant

One way you could do this is selecting a short straight rather than a medium straight so you are travelling less fast but still in the same gear. If you view the movement over the whole turn this will look like you are applying the brakes, but in the brief snap shot it might not be quite so obvious.
    When you hit the brakes in the real world you still move forwards during that period of braking, just at a lesser speed. So choosing a template that is less long will achieve this. (Also note that swerve and veer will move you forwards but to lesser amounts than a medium would)

Murpagato
    Participant

Thank you both for your quick replies!
    Strangely enough, on my drive in to work this morning(prior to seeing the two replies above) I got to thinking that the act of choosing the short straight would be considered braking. But when I got here and checked, it is disallowed in the higher gears. I think that I might institute a house rule that you can choose the short straight at any gear, but that the higher gears will have compounded automatic hazards assigned, such that attempting to do so at high speed will not be pretty. I never assumed that what I was looking for was for the car to stop, and then start right up again in the same turn. picture two cars side by side @ 60mph, and one of them hits the brakes such that the other surges ahead, putting them in their sights. The braking car is of course still moving. The mechanic that is already in place – changing down the gear and choosing a shorter template – may very well accomplish what I envision, but I wasn’t seeing it as such in my read through of the rules. As mentioned, my knowledge is purely theoretical at this point, as I have yet to actually play the game.
    Again, Thank you!

Lunchmoney
    Participant

And to answer the missed question,

just picked up the Refuelled book (why not Refueled?)

Because Refuelled is the correct spelling 😉 It’s a UK game and we use two Ls.

Murpagato
    Participant

A most excellent and reasonable answer! I only asked because spellcheck kept tweaking on it every time I tried to text a friend about it. I figured that there was no way it would have gotten past the proofer and published if it was actually wrong, but I didn’t realize it was something as simple as Americanized spelling being wonky again. Thank you!

Adran
    Participant

I forgot to mention that the short is only usable in low gears, so you have a limited time to make use of it, and probably need some preparation to be in those low gears at that time. In higher gears you can just make it so you don’t activate in that gear phase, and as long as its just the last gear phase you miss, you shouldn’t lose too much on them, so there are options at both ends of the turn.
    I also want to mention that because its an activation based game you can at times make it so your opponent gets 2 moves in a row (especially if you have more cars than them) which can sometime seem like the effect you want.

House rules are all well and good, but I would suggest trying it a few times using the main rules, not least because you may well find that the front firing arc still doesn’t get used in what you’re trying to do, so the house rule doesn’t actually achieve what you want.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.