Forums Community General Additional/alternative universal Audience Vote gaining options?

Topic: Additional/alternative universal Audience Vote gaining options?

Steven Kiesman
    Participant

Does anyone have any house rules or ideas on more options for universal (non-sponsored) Audience Vote gaining options? It seems kind of silly to only get them when wrecking or having no vehicles.

What about every time you wreck another player’s vehicle? Or any time you wipe out?

fnordlover
    Participant

I feel like the purpose of audience votes should be to keep one player from dominating the game, though. If you get a vote for wrecking them, you can immediately do something awesome while it takes three votes for them to get the vehicle back in the fight.

They should probably be things that you have to work for, too. Exciting stuff, like successfully jumping a ramp over another vehicle, or smashing through a volatile obstacle without taking damage, or take out an enemy with one hit. The audience doesn’t jump to their feet for a standard performance.

fnordlover
    Participant

Choosing to take a longer, more dangerous route to the next gate.

Doing more damage than a weapon can normally inflict (not just rolling more, the enemy has to take more Hull damage after evading than the weapon rolls to attack).

Grandstanding in some outlandish way: Spending four gear phases making hard lefts so that the opposing team can catch up and make it a fair match again gets you a vote. Having time for a figure eight gets you three. Finishing the figure eight even though the other team has gotten close enough to start shooting at you gets you five.

Steven Kiesman
    Participant

Oh, I understand the point of them now. So… Think of a reason to get them that isn’t just “doing the usual” then? I’ll have to do some thinking to come up with specific/concise options.

fnordlover
    Participant

I just got my copy of Gaslands, read it cover to cover, and then started trying to think of new rules and variations. This topic is right up my alley, thanks for starting my brain down this rabbit hole!

Steven Kiesman
    Participant

No problem! House-ruling games like this is always something on my mind. Feel free to post any ideas in this vein that you come up with, I’d love to consider adding them to my own games.

One thing I decided on was to add a little extra to the collision rules:

1. After a collision, if nobody wiped out, the defending player gets to rotate his car up to 90 degrees.
    2. When colliding with an immovable, indestructible object (predetermined at table setup), instead of using the rule that you ignore that piece of terrain next turn — which makes no sense for a mountain — Set your gear to 1, take hazard tokens equal to the number of gears you went down (minimum 1), and rotate up to 90 degrees.

The first house-rule is just visually appealing — spinning around on a heavy crash like a car should. It also removes some of the suspension of disbelief of passing through the car on the next turn.

The second house-rule was just necessary for some table setups.

Lunchmoney
    Participant

In a Death Race you could place 2 gates, rather than 1, at some points. Make one harder to get through but award Audience Votes for it.

fnordlover
    Participant

I re-read the rules about Audience Votes and found out that jumping a ramp already gives you one. It’s in the Ramp section that immediately precedes the Audience Vote section, so my brain must have stored it subconsciously. Now I have to re-read all the rules to see if there are other instances of Audience Votes sneaking into any other areas.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.