Forums Community The Wasteland Race Track Layouts

Topic: Race Track Layouts

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

If you come up with a particularly nice race track layout for Gaslands, post an “aerial photo” here and share it with others!

F Sultana
    Participant

Hi Mike – was in on the play testing of Gaslands – congrats for seeing this through mate. I was going to ask about “race tracks” myself and found this post. I want to do a contained deathrace track but have no idea on the length or width of the track. Can you help on some dimensions please? What I’m worried about on a longer track, say a rough oval track on a 6′ by 4′, is the race being over through carnage well before the vehicles can make a circuit. Also what would be the minimum width of track sections?

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Shorter than you think: that’s the best advice I can give.

I would keep areas of track at least wider than short straight template is long.

I should create some actual maps, shouldn’t I? 😀

Ooooh, maybe I should specify a length of string, and then as long as you lay that length of string out in a shape, you’ll have roughly the right length track!?

F Sultana
    Participant

Shorter than you think: that’s the best advice I can give.

That’s what I feared.

I would keep areas of track at least wider than short straight template is long.

Cool – so sections could be quite narrow and still playable. Excellent.

Also, the “how long is a piece of string” method would be

very

helpful, as would some sample track layouts.

I really want a “proper looking” track with some tight bends and long straights, in conjunction with a few movable terrain elements like raising hazard pylons, a tunnel section with variable width and a “no fire” zone.

Adran
    Participant

A lot of the death races I’ve been on have roughly been placed on a figure of 8, which I’ve seen helps the slower but more heavily armed cars still making a serious impact (they’re often near enough to the crossover point when the fast cars get there a second time). If you just had a long oval, I think you might find buggies and bikes and performance cars will run away. If they last that long.

But we normally have plenty of optional routes around, rather than just 1 fixed one, which allows some choices, and also somewhere to go when you misjudge a bend…
    Oh and we often can fit them on a 4 by 4

Fritz Loneaux
    Participant

Are there any reasons not to place gates touching, but facing each other? In my mind, that creates a “switchback” that you’ll have to reverse direction and go through later, and encourage head-on traffic. Think Grand Tour’s “Eboladrome”.

Also, linear, non-continuous tracks still work, right? I only ask because my copy hasn’t arrived yet.

Dan Frohlich
    Participant

A rule of thumb I use, when designing tracks is to give each car an imaginary 1.5″ x 3″ footprint (this is 3x Car Wars scale BTW). So I think: “How many car lanes do I want?” and then make the track 1.5″ wide per lane.

When I made my “city block” track I made alleys 3″ wide (enough for 2 cars to pass) and the main streets 6″ wide with 1″ wide sidewalk. (8″ building to building)

We played Gaslands on this map last week with 4 cars armed with front mounted machine guns per team and it worked well. The streets left players room to maneuver and the alleys felt “tight.” Not sure how it will feel when we add dropped and other weapons.

If your tracks are not hemmed in by concrete obstacles, you could do with a tighter track, since going off track won’t cause a collision.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.