Forums Community Playtesting (Closed) Pictures of my Gaslands Games :-D

Topic: Pictures of my Gaslands Games :-D

James Hall
    Participant

I’m not strictly sure where I should post this, but I’ve a few images to load up of my first test game of Gaslands ๐Ÿ™‚

If this should be in another part of the forum, feel free to move it or delete this one ^^;

James Hall
    Participant

Img 1

Img 2

Img 3

Img 4

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Sweet! How did it go?

What didn’t work so well with the rules for you? What was the weakest part?

James Hall
    Participant

Thanks Mike ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, uh we weren’t exactly sure how the whole shift tokens/shift roll mechanic worked. It seemed harsh that there wasn’t a way for drivers to lose them during the game, but I wouldn’t put it past me to just have misread the rules ^^;

In regards to the shift dice rolls;

– in my turn I roll 3 dice to change up a gear. I rolled a 1, a 3 and a 6. Do I pick the one I want? Or does the 1 automatically take effect?
    – in my turn I roll 3 dice as part of a gear check on a manouver. I roll two 1’s and a 5. I know that the 1’s take priority, but what does “wipe out” mean in the rules?
    – after a few rounds of crashing cars, most of our drivers have like 6-8 shift tokens. When should we start crashing?

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Hi James,

Sorry I never got back to you on this, I’ve been playtesting a replacement to this system that I hope is much more fun. Check you the new beta rules update I put out today ๐Ÿ™‚

James Hall
    Participant

Just wanted to say, I’m planning on having a game or two this Easter Monday, with painted cars this time! Will take photos and let you know how it goes ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Awesome lad! Can’t wait to see them!

Do let me know what doesn’t work for you about the newest rules. Gotta keep chipping away at anything that isn’t fun in the game. ๐Ÿ™‚

James Hall
    Participant

Better late than never ๐Ÿ˜‰

So here’s my pictures and write up of the game me and my friend had on Easter Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/jameshall13/media_set?set=a.1351425681549831.1073741881.100000472370213&type=3

So the game was between my friend’s 1 Car (Armour plates, crew, turret mounted chain gun!) and 2 Buggies (Dozer blades a piece) vs my 1 Monster Truck (Front mounted chain gun, armour plates, More crew and I honestly can’t recall) and 1 Car (Grenades and extra crew.) It was 25 points a side, so a bit of a test to see if more and cheaper was more dangerous than less and expensive ;-D

Bottle tops made a return as shift tokens ๐Ÿ˜‰ And I used spent shells I’ve picked up over the years as my grenade’s ammo counters. Makes things a bit more interesting!

And with the changes to the shift rules, I found that I don’t need quite so many tops. I made up some “Car Tokens” so that we could both quickly identify vehicles during the game. What with having two buggies, it helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Honestly found Bulldozer upgrade to work very nicely ๐Ÿ˜‰ Lots of damage, without the quick build up of shift tokens a ram-heavy style of preference would normally have. Shooting took a back seat for the most part, but with a 360 turret mounted chain gun to go against, it became a matter of close this distance and drive all over them ;-D

Definitely enjoying the rules ๐Ÿ˜‰ Will have to try larger scale games now that me and my friend have a grip on the system. Here’s to more games! ๐Ÿ˜€

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Glorious!

The use of bottle caps is inspired. Really thematic.

Cheers for taking the time to post these, can’t tell you how excited it is to see everyone getting stuck into the game!

Anything from this game that stuck out as odd or not fun about the rules?

James Hall
    Participant

Game 3 is now up! Great stuff! ๐Ÿ˜€

https://www.facebook.com/jameshall13/media_set?set=a.1366935156665550.1073741882.100000472370213&type=3

We had a new player join in this game ๐Ÿ™‚ a nice, violent, three-way arena of death. He decided he would go with Nitro and Glue drop weapons, to try and speed around the board and gum up enemy cars before hammer and anvil’ing them ๐Ÿ˜‰

He also had a great idea regarding the bottle tops ;-p as cars are activated and play out their turn in any gear phase, you turn their identifying top over, to show which ones you’ve activated, and which ones have yet to go! Surprisingly simple, and really works well ๐Ÿ™‚

There was one particularly brutal instance of a Buggy equiped with nothing but an Explosive Ram, charging into my Truck Tank and just annihilating it. Something crazy like, Gear 5, side hit, 6 dice from the ER. And he only did a few hits to himself!

A cool combo is taking a Monster Truck with Nitro ๐Ÿ˜‰ A blast of Nitro lets it drive over anything in a straight line, regardless of not being in gear 5 or 6, and then the extra move let’s it get an extra hit just that one step further.

And Brum the Murder-Tractor. Still living up to it’s name! In this game, counted as a Car with the Tracks and Bulldozer upgrades. It really just goes through things so long as you don’t shoot it to death first ;-D

Great fun, going to see about having a big, free-for-all drop in game sometime ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

OMG. That Monster Truck leaping over the rocks to land a smash attack is so awesome!

That murder-tractor is a killer looking vehicle too. Love, love, love!

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

How are you finding the newest rules for arena-style death matches?

We’ve been testing the races most at the moment, and mostly two cars a side, so interested in any feedback on how the flow of the game feels with three each and just concentrating on the destruction. Anything feeling limp or dragging in your games?

James Hall
    Participant

Good seeing you at Salute today Mike ๐Ÿ˜‰

Honestly we’re having a blast with the game! I plan to try out the other game types as well, and maybe set something up with a rolling road for “highway chase” type games. At the moment it’s just a matter of finding the time to get the games in ๐Ÿ˜€

(Apparently my friend is terrible at taking photos. oh well ^^; )

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

I wrote a rolling road type scenario when I started my game, now that I’ve given up I’m thinking it would work nicely for gaslands. Essentially playing lengthways on a rectangular table and moving the terrain towards the players, randomly generating it at the very edge of the table. Not sure how it would work with the movement templates though, perhaps some sort of braking mechanic that allows you to use the templates backwards to “slow down”?

James Hall
    Participant

@Stuart, I like the sound of that ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ve been wanting to try a rolling road / chase type scenario, with players trying to cover a certain number of tiles or, failing that, knock the opponents off the road. There’s the possibility for it to evolve naturally into an arena style match as well, where once a car has come off the highway, the rolling road stops and the rest of the map opens up.

A “successful interception” if you will, where now the chased have to turn and face their pursuers, and those hot on their heels have to break them ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m currently going over the 20 something bike models I have. I’m thinking of a large, “Mice vs the Tiger” battle. Hordes of bike gangs having to try and take down a tank or some such, which ordinarily in a one on one conflict would be near impossible.

Bikes can take 1 upgrade I believe, and trikes can be counted as buggies, it’s just a matter of tooling them up correctly (read, realistically ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Hi Stuart – I’ve answered your comment in a separate thread, as I think it’s important and will come up again:

Rolling Road Scenario

Thanks!

James Hall
    Participant

So here’s game number 4 ๐Ÿ˜‰

https://www.facebook.com/jameshall13/media_set?set=a.1378003498892049.1073741886.100000472370213&type=3&uploaded=21

No it’s not a rolling road, it’s a Scavenger Hunt Scenario! ๐Ÿ˜€

So long and short of the match, changes to my last game;

– We used a Gear Phase / Turn Counter template I whipped up (posted in the dice and templates section of the forum). Works surprisingly well for keeping track of where everyone is in a turn. Just doesn’t need to have so many turns along the bottom, no way are games ever getting to 10 lots of 6 gear phases a piece ;-p
    – Loot crates were represented by bottle tops, works well from a distance, just got to make sure they didn’t get lumped in with the bottle tops representing hazard tokens…or drivers…or soon to be weapons and other things…
    – Explosive rams continue to be amazing value for points. almost half of the health of my pick-up truck in one hit, as the speed being added does wonders for head-to-head attacks ๐Ÿ˜‰ mind you, that’s my mistake for hitting him head on…
    – Rockets are great, deadly, but I imagine in a real campaign setting won’t be quite so outrageously powerful. Considering you’d have to roll randomly for it skill wise. Certainly a game changer here, and cheaper than a turret mounted minigun…speaking of which
    – Turret mounted minigun on the unpainted wagon. So it only ever hit 1 dice out of 6. The curse of being unfinished strikes again! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    – Brum continued to murder, albeit with less efficiency.
    – by the end of the game, the gangs are leaving more wounded then their collected gas cans would be able to heal. ah well.
    – Nitro is still great for getting from A to B ๐Ÿ˜‰
    – what are the rules regarding indescribably close but not actually coming into contact with your opponent’s vehicle?

and now pictures ^^;

My friend’s explosive ram dice;

My dice back;

From 12 down to 7

James Hall
    Participant

So yesterday me and Aidan had our fifth game of Gaslands ๐Ÿ™‚ A nice, quick Race scenario. Well, with 8 vehicles on the field I wouldn’t exactly call it quick ^^;

I wanted to see how powerful taking the same car multiple times would be, so I made my force out of Cars equiped with Armour Plates, grenades and Front mounted HMGs. Aidan continued his love for Buggies by fielding a solid 5 team of the things, 4 armed with Grenades and Mines, and 1 armed with a Turret Mounted HMG, but sadly he plunged to his death in the oasis, taking one of my cars with him! ๐Ÿ˜€ Needless to say, there wasn’t any shooting and exploding until vehicles made it past gate 2. There was however plenty of crashing, bashing, and shunting into hazards!

The board was made simple enough, 4 check points labelled 1-4, starting at gate 1, weapons live at gate 2, and once you’ve gone through all 4 in sequence, back to the first gate to win. A very nice scenario, although brutal as by the end there were maybe 3 cars left standing!

Something we tried early on was a simple “push” mechanic that would come as part of a successful Smash attack, that dealt enough damage to white the opposing driver out. We figured, that would be the hit that made the driver lose control, and have the car get rammed to one side. Just pop down a slide template, facing away from the attacking car (or Brum the murder tractor ;-p) and move it.

Now this would come in handy very soon, as Aidan took his Turret Buggy and plowed it into the side of my Car, the driver of which whited out and the driver of the bug whited out! Both went into the oasis, which we both agreed before hand would be deadly terrain, if only because the cars would get bogged down and require time to be removed properly…which in a race you have very little of!

Is this correct? Probably not. Hell later on in the game I have my main car racing around in 6th gear, even though their max is 5, although it wouldn’t have made much difference. The key is what feels good and fun, and having two cars getting written off right off the bat in a Death Race? Yeah that works ๐Ÿ˜‰

So how did the race go? Well with plenty of speed Aidan’s buggies found they could race ahead to the 2nd gate, activating their weapons, and cover it in Mines. My cars, while tough sons of guns with 12 hull points thanks to the extra armour, took hits as well as they could dish them. White-outs proved lethal, as you need your cars to activate as often as possible to zip around the board.

Early on it’s Spooky skull and the Rust Buggy in the lead, with the Limo and Screaming skull not far behind. My remaining car gets to grip with Brum the murder tractor, and ends up staying in 1st gear for a couple of turns.

The Rust Buggy makes a fatal error, picking up a hard turn rather than a straight! Hoping to side-swipe Spooky skull no doubt, he goes careening into a rock and ending his chances of overtaking!

Down to the Limo and Spooky, I managed to keep the nippy little buggy far enough away from me to stop it from dropping mines or slinging grenades my way. However, my need for speed get’s the better of me, careening straight into some boulders! Down to 1st gear, the Limo cruises past….slinging grenades in it’s wake!

With Screaming Skull catching up, Spooky decides it’s time to take out the Limo and get to gate 4. Rather than blast him with the HMG, a rock solid smash attack pops the limo after turning infront, providing a lovely T-Strike!

But in all that bloodshed, Screaming skull has caught up! It’s a mad dash for the finish line…

Locked in 5th gear Spooky flies off the map! He’s out of the race!

Brum decides to murder everyone in the liquid abyss!

And screaming skull wins the race! ๐Ÿ˜€

So with all that said and done, how did we feel it went?

– Right now we’ve focused whole heartedly on just murdering one another. In a campaign I believe players might choose to be less…aggressive. Atleast, until they can Afford to be more aggressive.
    – Aidan still needs to paint his cars, as he keeps using mine
    – We forget rules as often as we remember them ^^;
    – Mines are great in races
    – FASTER FASTER
    – and after we try a big rig scenario, I’ll have a go at doing some introduction games.

Always remember, if a mission says “leave no witnesses” it’s a viable strategy to just murder everyone ๐Ÿ˜‰

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Nice write up, your cars look awesome! The photo of Brum pushing people into the oasis is hilarious.

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Great looking game! We’re unashamedly most fond of the race scenario.

Very interesting idea about the push. How exactly did you play it? What triggers the “white out”? Do I have to do a minimum about of damage to you?

Tom Wiggins
    Participant

Everything about that game looks unbelievably cool. The modeling, paint jobs, terrain, customized bottle caps, and even illustrations of final positions?! Very inspirational stuff.

James Hall
    Participant

@mike; well it wasn’t anything difficult, early on we found cars were getting plenty of hazard tokens as they side swiped one another, and with only 6 needed for a regular wipe out, we liked the idea that if a smash attack would give you the last 2 hazard tokens you needed, well it’s a little incentive so you can push cars out the way ๐Ÿ˜‰ as though the gang was using, dare I say it…Team work to defeat a foe ;-p

James Hall
    Participant

@tom and Stuart; thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ I do the best I can with what I have

James Hall
    Participant

So it’s been a while since I last had a game ๐Ÿ˜‰ Around 2 months to be precise. Since then I’ve expanded my gang, made and painted a War-Rig, and tonight me and my friend Aidan decided she needed the chance to taste burning twisted metal ๐Ÿ˜€

two quick games, 40 minutes and 33 minutes a piece (my fastest times yet!) and with two pre-made teams I threw together the other night. 27 points a side, the Wolverine making his first appearance on the wasteland, against the Reaper (truck), Spooky Skull (car) and Screaming Skull (buggy).

First game was a loss for me, the Wolverine destroyed Screaming Skull (after it suicide charged with an exploding ram) by gear phase 3 of turn 1, only to run aground between two boulders and get rocket shot to death.

(Spooky Skull actually survived the onslaught of the Wolverine. Barely, but just enough…)

Second game went alot better for the Wolverine (probably because I had the 3 against it) and he managed to wipe out the whole lot with liberal applications of Flamethrower weaponry and hand grenades! With the 4ed rules on attacks per gear phase, and we were probably doing this wrong, we were using each crew man to make an attack with a weapon (from the vehicle’s equipment, or handguns) all at the same time. So 3 guys in a pick up truck, all threw a grenade each (using up all 3 ammo at once) to just do Crazy damage to the War-Rig. Not as much mind as rockets, rockets are fantastically good, but considering they are locked without campaign upgrades I guess balanced. I didn’t even get a rocket off before all 3 of my vehicles were ignited and sent running, exploding and sliding under the Wolverine’s wheels ๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah everything in those two arcs is pretty much dead meat ^^; The front not so much, I found he’d try to move his cars out of a direct frontal attack…can’t say I blame him really ;-D

First turns of the game are still crazy lethal. I’d say the majority of our casualities come from turn 1, gear phase 3 and 4. That’s when people enter long weapons range, and more often then not, get close enough to get smash attacks in.

(Yeah everything was just sort of burning by the end of the second game!)

Great stuff all round ๐Ÿ™‚ Will have to have a go at some more low-point games. One car per player creates an indescribably quick turn sequence, as there’s less micro and more killing to look forward to! I’ll have to get that damn rear-trailer done…it is an awfully nimble War-Rig without haulage slowing it down… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Interesting. I’m a little worried that things are dying too quickly at the moment, and I might need to bump up the number of hull points again. However, it definitaly makes for faster games, which isn’t a bad thing at all.

I notice that you wrote on the old AV values onto your stat cards. Are you guys choosing to still use the “5+” to hit a war rig rules?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘Playtesting (Closed)’ is closed to new topics and replies.