Forums Community The Garage Kelly's Heroes

Topic: Kelly's Heroes

James Hall
    Participant

I like that crazy taxi 😉 The railing at the front really helps give it some menace without jeopardizing the height from the wheels.

These things happen man. I’m currently doing extra shifts at work ^^; It’s all about balancing commitments man

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

It also helps cover up some of the more crap looking bits underneath the vehicle.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Bolt Action is out of the way until the next edition lands at the end of the year and my Frostgrave stuff is mostly finished now so I can focus on Gaslands, looks like my timing is pretty good because V4 is just around the corner.

Finished building a buggy the other day, again using some of the LEGO wheels. This brings me up to around 10 vehicles of various types that all need painting, now I just need to strong arm someone at the club into playing with me. I’ll get some photos of the buggy up soon, just changing the back wheels and adding a meaty bumper on the front has completely transformed it which is nice.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Started painting stuff finally as well as cutting out all the tokens on cereal box card (sort of wish I never started that one to be honest).

Red pickup and van

Quite pleased with how easily they are painting up, I’m mostly winging it to be honest.

Painted cars

Got some tamiya weathering powder and some highlights to put on the van and it should be done. The others clearly need a bit more work but I’m quite happy, these toy cars don’t have so much detail that I really need to be careful. Can’t decide if I should base them or not, I normally base all my vehicles (even up to 28mm scale) but these little cars are so god damn durable that I don’t know if I will bother.

James Hall
    Participant

I can’t see the attached pics :-/ it’s a shame, they sound really good.

I can just see these errors;

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Bah, can’t edit it now. Hopefully mended images:

Teun Sprikkelman
    Participant

still hoping to get into playtesting,i have seen some hotwheels lying around 😀

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Tiny wee bit more progress:

3 cars

Also bound the rules, probably unnecessary while still in beta but I can do it for free so why not?

Rules

I’ve actually painted a couple more cars which I don’t have pictures of, I’ll see if I remember to take some.

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Looking super sweet!

I’ll try and invalidate that bound copy as fast as I can. (In fact, you just gave me a sort of perverse motivation to ship a new version just to piss you off. That’s a healthy reaction, right?!) 😛

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

I knew I should have kept that quiet…

James Hall
    Participant

It’s alright Stuart, just gives mike a chance to change all those spelling errors ;-p Besides, I tend to scribble all over my rules when I get a game in…

Your cars are looking great man 🙂 loving the white-wall tires on that hotrod ;-D

Working from a white base coat, do you use mainly shades and washes? I’ve always been a work up from black or brown man myself. Would love to hear how you go about painting your cars 🙂

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Thanks mate! I used to always do black base coat and recently started using white, I’m really enjoying it so far. I don’t use any “official” washes or shades, but I do use my paint (vallejo) very watered down and layer it up. I find on the bigger flat surfaces you get on cars this works a bit better, it’s still really easy to blitz over the bottom with black. Things like the red van went from a super bright flat red and worked down with a black wash, a brown wash and a weathering powder.

Also painting anything yellow on a black base is just painful.

I actually did all the rules one sided so that I can scribble on the back.

Zhuge Liang
    Participant

Luv’n the bull horns 😀

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Thanks man, actually I dropped the pickup while painting it and the bull horns broke off. I thought about leaving them off but I think I will put it back on. If anyone knows somewhere you can get animal skulls like this 40k ork one then let me know.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Built some terrain, MDF stuff from TT Combat and the smashed up cars are old hot wheels that I “improved” with a big hammer then hit them with my airbrush.

terrain

terrain

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Ha! Looks like a monster truck’s been through!

Terrain is looking excellent.

James Hall
    Participant

Haha those smashed cars are going to look ace 😀

There’s so many wonderful possibilities for wrecked old cars. You can pile them up, scrap yard style. Or have them posed in collisions and heaps, as though you just missed a battle that ended previously. Hell, you can detail some of them up, and throw in any bits or cars that you’re not happy with, and have them as the failed previous combatants of the show 😉

Great stuff.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Yeah I thought about sticking some of them to bases like proper terrain but I’m thinking they might be useful just loose so I can stack them up.

Anyone know of any suitable roads for the scale? A lot of wargames roads are narrow single track affairs. I suppose I could make some with some black painted MDF.

James Hall
    Participant

I believe there are some free paper ones available online, hang on and I’ll take a look.

Over on the lead-adventure forum they had this thread;
    http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=92394.0

These are paid-pdf’s that work in a variety of miniature contexts;
    http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&product=37

DMsCraft has this youtube video on making roads;

that’s off the top of my head anyway

Sean Tidy
    Participant

I stumbled across this road tape a few days ago. It looks reasonably cheap and easy. Distress it a bit and it could look pretty good. And it comes in 2″ and 4″ widths.

Playtape Classic Road Tape

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Thanks chaps. The tape looks very interesting, never heard of that before.

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

For roads, you can use 2mm MDF, cut into strips. Black paint with sand mixed in, a dusting of grey or brown spray paint, and then dry brushed up.

That’s how I made my race track board: http://gaslands.com/forums/topic/gascar-deathrace-track/

I actually painted in some tyre skid marks since taking those photos.

The road markings were done by cutting masking tape with a scalpel and then using that as a mask.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Thanks Mike, that is definitely my fall back plan (I did my Bolt Action roads like that).

I also discovered this today via reddit http://imgur.com/gallery/Kvfuw

The creator claims he can even roll up those roads and they don’t crack or flake.

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Hey Stuart!

Do you have any photo’s of your finished cars? I’d love to see the final work!

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

I must admit I thought I had posted some but it looks like I never did. I’ll get the box out and take some. I’ve got ideas for a few more I was going to start when my book arrives.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.