Forums Community The Garage Kelly's Heroes

Topic: Kelly's Heroes

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

So I’m going to attempt to detail my Gaslands vehicle progress in this thread, although it is early days for now.

I bought a couple of job lots of Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars on eBay, intending to only win one auction but ended up with both. In the end I had purchased over 60 individual cars, which for the moment I haven’t done a lot with other than wash them:

Car Wash

I’ve got a decent mixture of different types of vehicles, cars, hot rods, pickups, vans etc so I should be able to make most of the different vehicle types. I’m planning to build a few race teams so that I can run the game at the local club in a multi-player format. I’m hoping to get some decent take up if I am willing to provide all of the stuff.

With the more boring vehicles I’m going to make some wrecked car terrain. Some as individual craters with one car, which would be useful as scatter terrain, but also some larger scrap yard style heaps of cars. I’m thinking a quick smack with a hammer and some no more nails should do the job nicely.

I also bought a lorry, which is actually a hot wheels car transporter truck. Possibly a bit under scale for the rest of the vehicles but not drastically so, with a bit of plasticard and some spare 40k bits from years ago and it should make a passable war rig.
    War Rig

Bestia
    Participant

As someone who is currently going through the stripping step of the cars

I can not recommend enough Aircraft Remover

Takes days of work with Simple green, and cuts it down to a few hours

I do recommend using it in a well ventlated space, and so far it seems safe to use on plastic, but I would still break down the car first and just use it on the bodies

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, I’ll see if I can find some in the UK. I’m not sure how I’m going to handle painting them yet, I had considered just spraying them completely and painting over the top.

I’ve got some decent paint strippers at home that will destroy plastics but work nicely on metals so I will experiment a bit.

James Hall
    Participant

Honest to god, if you live in the UK you can’t get any easier than Nitro Mors;

http://www.wilko.com/wallpaper-paste+preparation/nitromors-paint-varnish-remover-375ml/invt/0289167

Wilko sell it, in different sized tins and amounts. It eats through anything non-metal or glass, so plastic is out I’m afraid, you’d need to de-rivet the cars first.

Put your chassis in a jam jar, drop some NM onto, leave for a few hours and you will see the paint bubble off.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Thanks mate, I’ve used that before but never got Miniatures because it is so amazingly harsh. You guys think stripping and re painting is the way to go? I was going to spray over and paint.

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

I’ve just been spraying over the top and repainting. Depends how keen on revealing underlying details you are; the gloopy hot wheels paint definitely obscures some detail.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Going to give it a go next week. I had a count up last night, something like 8 Pickups, 10 Hot Rods, 20 ish Vans/4x4s and the rest in assorted cars of different types. Trying to justify buying the ramshackle bike gang, had a few hobby purchases recently though so it might wait until I’ve done the cars.

I meant to ask someone, what size dice do you use for the sticky labels?

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

I use blank white 16mm dice.

Like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/330870158584

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Started my first vehicle today, a flamethrower pickup:

pickup

Not sure what to do in the back yet, thinking about a canvas cover type thing but we shall see.

It seems like I’ve given away most of the 40k vehicle bits I had so I may need to procure more stuff.

James Hall
    Participant

Nice 😉 first steps are always the hardest. Have you thought of making a roll cage or some such for the back? Take some plastic piping, bend it, and you could make some guard rails for people to hang onto.

I like the use of the gas tank and flamed, definitely stands out! The skull might be a bit big. Got anything in mind for armour playing?

Keep up the good work 🙂

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Definitely right about the skull, it is flipping massive. I’m planning to put some sort of mesh over the windows, so that the flamethrower hose is a bit more convincing. At the moment you can see through the windows that it doesn’t go anywhere. I’ve also realised that in the rules they are side/rear mounted, but I think this can count as side mounted fairly well.

I’m going to attempt improvised armour plates with plasticard and see how I get on, I’m very tempted by the ramshackle games conversion set though.

For the back I was thinking of a fabric cover over an oil barrel that you can’t actually see, I’ve had some luck before stretching an anti-bacterial wipe over and then painting it with a PVA/Water mix. Roll cage is a cool idea though. I haven’t exactly worked out crew etc yet, I don’t have anything in the correct scale at the moment.

I’ve found when doing that kind of “pipe work” that the wire you get around champagne corks (slightly extravagant I realise) works really nicely. It’s the right sort of thickness and bendyness.

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Pickup

Minor update to the pickup today, added a sort of fuel bowser to the back and some meaty exhausts. I can’t help but think the exhausts would look better next to the cab so I might have to rearrange the fuel tank.

Added some extra armour in 2mm plasticard, which is probably a bit thick for this sort of thing but I’m just going to go with it for now. They will be easy to replace in future if I need to.

Made a start on a car with a rocket, which I am planning to cover the missing doors with some mesh:

Car

I think the black one probably just needs a gun sticking on it somewhere, need to have a good look through the WW2 bits for some machine guns.

James Hall
    Participant

Looking good 😉 I love seeing projects progress.

Well I’ve used 3mm thick plasticard before now, for rams and especially reinforced areas, I find if you do just spend a moment and cut some nicks and chips into it with a craft knife, it can help to break up the smooth and clean surface. Or, failing that, some rivets made from cutting plastic rod (I believe I use 1mm thick rod, will have to check) into little discs and sticking those on the corners works wonders 🙂

Are those exhausts made from old metal 40K Ork stick bombs by any chance? I recognise the little metal handle and what I think used to be the eye-piece of a killa kan/deff dread on your fuel tank 😉

Looks like you’re off to a good start on the next two. Just keep at it man! The black one looks like it’ll be a killer 😉

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

You’ve a keen eye James, right on both counts. Stickbombs are mounted upside down with the handle end drilled out to form the exhaust, with suitable paint I think it should look uite convincing. The Killa kan bits make lovely little valves and handles that you can stick on all sorts, the fuel canisters are attached to the roof using one of those as well. 10 points to Gryffindor if you can name the plastic 40k piece that makes up the fuel bowser in the back.

Good shout about scratching up the armour, I’ll attack it with my dremel and scuff it up a bit.

Not sure about the black one, it barely needs anything doing to it. Possibly some big wheels on the back if I can find some?

James Hall
    Participant

Ill try and guess that non-descript grey tube ;-p is it the turret sponson from a Leman Russ tank? The kind that would have a heavy bolter/las cannon or some such attached to it, before popping inside the armoured housing and being glued to the side of the vehicle? Looks about the right size 😉

A ram of some kind would work 🙂 and exhausts, got to have big flared exhausts on the back 😉

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Bingo

James Hall
    Participant

It’s the Ork Loota in me 😉

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Little more WIP, I’m going to stop posting WIP shots now and try and get something finished. I also finished the templates and have some blank dice on the way.

Performance car

Rocket Car

Templates

James Hall
    Participant

I always enjoy seeing the development of people’s projects 😉 So feel free to upload as much or as little as you want! There is no pressure 🙂

I love the tied on stowage on the white rocket car, and that metal ram looks good, any plans to scratch it up a bit?

any thoughts on a paint scheme? 🙂

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Definitely going to scratch it up, it made a huge difference to the truck. The stowage is tied down with the really thin masking tape which works quite nicely, I might even make a little plastic ratchet handle for it.

Still waiting on my mesh tape to turn up.

Not sure about paint scheme, I want to do 3 or 4 factions so I’m going to build the cars first then decide which faction thy suit. Thinking of a military themed one with slightly less improvised vehicles, I’ve got loads of 4x4s that should work nicely.

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Love the masking tape idea. Do you soak glue into it afterwards, or just paint it like that?

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Pass, I haven’t painted it yet. I might put a layer of watered down PVA on it, by it’s very nature it is a bit resistant to paint unfortunately, sticks to the car fairly well though.

I’ve also been doing some mesh windows with plasterboard tape, which although self adhesive does need some glue to hold it onto the shapes of a car.

In other news I have made a bit more progress on my Hummer based military faction and made 10 skid dice. I’ll try and get some pictures soon.

Skid dice

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

The dice look GREAT. Actually neater than mine 😀

A more drastic approach would be to drop super-glue onto the masking tape. I’ve had success with this technique before, turning scraps of tissue into rigid smoke. Properly needs to be done in a well-ventilated area, but that never stopped the determined modeller in the past…

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

The dice were a pain in the arse to do if I’m honest, they do look nice now though. Really hard to get the hazard triangles straight, might be better if it was inside a small circle or square on the sheet?

Stuart Kelly
    Participant

Re-supplied with super glue on Sunday so I can continue with my garage. This time a crazy taxi using some LEGO wheels (I scored a massive bag of them on eBay).

Crazy Taxi

Hoping to start painting some of these soon, I’m in the middle of a Frostgrave campaign at the minute and have a Bolt Action tournament at the weekend so this is unfortunately taking a back seat.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.