Forums Community General Interested player with some questions

Topic: Interested player with some questions

Jonathan Chester
    Participant

Hi All,

Just a couple of questions, mainly about scenarios. The obvious question is can I recreate the final scene in Mad Max with this set of rules? Most of the car games I’ve seen, with the exception of Thunder Road, have been nothing more than space ship battles with a car. Will this game recreate the sense of forward motion common in car chases? If the answer is yes are the move templates small enough to keep the cars on a table or is there a game mechanic for floating roads?

Thanks
    Jonathan

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome! ThunderRoad is one my childhood favourites. You’ll find a nod or two in Gaslands to that game.

There are six scenarios in the book, plus a “mini-campaign” inspired by the most recent Mad Max film.

The scenarios in the book are Death Race (which is our favourite), Monster Truck Smash, Capture The Flag, Saturday Night Live, Arena Of Death and Zombie Bash.

The “Fury Road” inspired campaign is made of four additional scenarios, and the final scenario in that campaign is indeed a “rolling road” scenario.

With a 4×4 board and hot wheels size cars, we never have issues keeping the cars on the table and the vehicles feel fast and cinematic.

Replicated the sense of momentum, weight, speed and cinematic carnage of movie car chases is at the heart of the game design, and you’ll find lots of mechanics that feed into making an explosive and mayhem-filled game.

I won’t lie, there is some dogfighting mechanics at the heart, but the game works very hard to not feel like X-Wing, Full Thrust or Car Wars on the table. The Death Race scenario exemplify this. It’s very quick and visceral and doesn’t get “mathy” at any point.

Hope that helps!
    Mike

Jonathan Chester
    Participant

wow sounds awesome. Are motorcylces and gyrocopters included in the rules? Do you get a bonus if you take out your opponents boyfriend with a boomerang to the head? 😉 Sorry just got a little excited there.

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Haha!

The advanced rules actually feature something called “audience votes”, and each faction earns audience votes for doing things that are “in character” for their faction. So the deft, agile guys get votes for sweet stunts, and the violent prison-cars teams get votes for exploding their own vehicles!

Yep, bike and gyrocopters are in there! To whet your appetite some more, here’s a sneak peak of the vehicle and weapons list:

http://gaslands.com/downloads/Gaslands-QuickRefCard.pdf

Jonathan Chester
    Participant

I think I might faint. Looks awesome.

Jonathan Chester
    Participant

Alright. I’ve recovered from my 80’s nerdom fainting spell….;-) Just one more question. Will I be able to have people jump from car to car like they did in Mad Max:Road Warrior trying to hijack the big rig?

Mike
    Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Haha! The game is very focused on vehicles rather than their crew, so “boarding actions” aren’t in the basic game.

I can reveal that we already have plans for more factions in a future expansion, which will include a sort of piratical faction which can gain attack bonuses by discarding crewmembers! 😉

More on that post-release!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.