Forums Community The Wasteland Gates for Gaslands

Topic: Gates for Gaslands

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

As you know, some of the scenarios in Gaslands require the vehicles to pass through gates in a particular order as well as a start/finish line.

After tinkering about with some designs of my own and not being particularly happy with any of them, I stumbled upon a design on Thingiverse for a “Small checkpoint gate for small R/C or slotcars” by MoMaHo.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2799065

Although they are a simple design, what attracted me to them was (a) they aren’t too stylised which means I can tweak them to my heart’s content, and (b) they are designed to easily expand/contract according to how wide you need the gates to be. Sweet!

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

Gaslands Gates 1
    I opted to print out four gates worth of parts on my Cetus-3D (0.2mm layer height at 20% infill for strength and weight) which should be enough for a 4’x4’ race area.

The clearance on these is between 14cm to 22cm (inner tyre edges) with a top clearance of 9cm. Pretty much the only thing that won’t fit under it is a big war rig, but to be honest you wouldn’t be racing war rigs… would you? Hmm.

The front gates are shown at minimum width, the back ones at max. That’s a standard Hot Wheels sized vehicle there to give an indication of scale.

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

Gaslands Gates 2
    Next up, I wanted a way to indicate (a) what the gate number was (or if it was the Start/Finish line) etc., and (b) which was the correct way through the gate. I modified some Ork Armour Plates from Tinkercad (by simonjhenry), scaled them up and glued them in place. The idea will be to rust/weather them and then scrawl over them in a graffiti-like manner with the relevant information.

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

Gaslands Gate 3
    A rear view of an unpainted Gaslands gate. That small plate at the top will have a big red ‘X’ scrawled on it to show how much of a doofus you are for going the wrong way.

Pete Wilkins
    Participant

oh those are nice. i’ve been on the hunt for some too with little luck, but this is giving me ideas.

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

If you don’t have access to a 3D printer, you can do similar things using an idea one of the other forum guys posted – the sprue left over from model kits. Just find interesting things to ‘wedge’ them in to act as supports.

I couldn’t find any old bits of sprue big enough and had to stop myself from 3D printing sprue! How sad am I? LOL

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

Front & back of gates 1 and 2

Front and back of gates 1 and 2.

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

Side views of gates 3 and 4.

Side views of gates 3 and 4, showing direction arrows.

Velcro 74
    Participant

Have you updated your thingiverse file? Would love to get the numbered gates!

SpankyTaz TazSpanky
    Participant

WOW. I wasn’t expecting anyone else to want them. LOL

I’ve listed a remix of the original RC Gates on Thingiverse with a copy of my modified Ork Armour Plates as “Gaslands Race Gate”. You can find it here:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2824715

Velcro 74
    Participant

Thank You! These are great!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.