Forums Community The Garage Flappy's Garage

Topic: Flappy's Garage

Flappy
    Participant

Larger versions of all the images in the below posts *should* be visible here:
    Click Here!

Flappy
    Participant

Ok, so got into Gaslands just before Xmas and have been playing a few games with Vanilla Hotwheels while working on some gangs to play with.

I’ve been a bit shy of posting progress, but it’s the new year, so why not πŸ˜€

Anyway, first up is the GreaseHounds:
    GH
    Was pleased with my first attempt at customising cars, but I didn’t really end up liking the paintjob. I wanted to go for something really greasy and dirty, but the models kind of ended up coming out really muddy and not having a lot of contrast.

Flappy
    Participant

With my second batch, decided to go for something a bit less gnarly, have a bit more colour to them.
    G
    Really pleased with how these 2 turned out. Agent orange was a freebie car from McDonalds, and didn’t have a roof, so that’s all scratch built. Was a nice little challenge, and I was happy with how the ropes holding the guns turned out.

Flappy
    Participant

Next up I wanted to mess around with some utes, really like the flatbed at the back as it gives loads of opportunity for turrets etc.
    hb
    These all took a while to do, and had lots of kitbashing involved! I also wanted them to feel more “human” so having some crew visible on the backs of the vehicles I think gives them some more life.

(the red truck is still a bit WIP, but I’ve included it so the full set is there).

Flappy
    Participant

Finally, Really wanted to do a biker gang, but I stuggled to find anything in the style I was looking for. Wanted bikes that looked more like Choppers/Triumphs and not future-death-cycles.
    Ended up picking up a pack of 4 Italeri WW2 german motorbike scouts. The bikes here were good, but the riders were a bit too… german.
    All the models in the gang are headswapped with Caesar Urban Resistor or DarkAlliance Barbarian heads, to make them look a little more gnarly.
    The guys riding Pillion on the backs of the bikes are bashed together from some cowboy legs, CaesarMinis Chechen rebel torsos and various heads. Some of the bikes have 40k Orky bits and I scratch built my own MG for one of the sidecars from a 40k combi weapon.
    This little gang took agggeeess and were particularly tricky to paint (note to self, paint the people THEN glue them together).
    bike

Flappy
    Participant

Finnnalllllyyyy, next up on the workbench is a Junktank for the KillBillies. I had a really old (1972) pickup truck that was missing wheels and interior so decided to do a total rebuild of it and make it into an OTT DeathMachine. Still at the glue-y phase, but more to come soon…
    ff

I don’t really understand this internet stuff, but I think you can view larger versions of the images here:
    My Imgur

Mike
    Gaslands Overlord

Oh my life mate, these are glorious!

I love them all, even the greasy first gangs. The pictures really do them justice even if maybe they don’t pop on the table.

Dan T
    Participant

WOW they are all fantastic. Really really good in fact they are inspirational. Going to have to keep practicing to ever produce somthing that good.

Flappy
    Participant

@Mike

Thanks dude, glad you’re liking them. We haven’t gotten to the point of including the sponsors/perks just yet, so we’ve been inventing our own crews (Hey it’s fun to make up names).

TBH I think you’re right – the Greasers do pop better on photo than to the naked eye πŸ˜€

@Dan

Aw thankyou πŸ™‚ Never posted any miniatures/painting stuff on the interwebs before, so nice to get nice comments.

I’ve got a few “bigger” projects that I want to start, but I’m a little nervous of messing them up. Obvs there’s a war rig to get started on at some point, but I’ve also picked up a sweeeet SteamRoller that I really wanna do a cool job on haven’t really seen anyone do one before.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Cool stuff man. I especially love the motorcycle gang. Gives me a Twisted Metal: Mr. Grimm vibe.

Flappy
    Participant

@cpl_dixon, thanks dude! I’d totally forgotten about Twisted Metal, dang that game was fun. Now I’m remembering all those awesome 90’s driving combat games – Interstate75, Quarantine. There’s probably a bunch of good reference in there.

Anyway, back to the modelling.

Decided to try and do a few cleaner looking cars.
    Basically, instead of being cobbled together from scrap metal and bits of armour, I wanted to try and do a couple of cars that look like they might be factory made, with the weapons and equipment on board already.

I tried doing 3, but abandonned the Porche911. The curves just don’t work for anything and it looked crappy.

With both of these cars I tried adding drivers. I couldn’t find any I liked online so resorted to disarming (literally) some figures, drilling through, adding wire and making my own arms. The MiniCooper driver was my first attempt, and while OK, I think the Skyline driver is much better.

Anyway. Over all, found it much harder to make these interesting, there’s a lot more flat surfaces to deal with and can be a little bland. Still, learned lots of new skills:
    -> WaterSlide decals – Designed by Satan to stretch your patience to the limit. Really dissapointed with how hard it is to blend the edges of the decal so that it’s not obviously glossy. Don’t think I’d use them again, unless I can cut the decal to Exactly the right shape. Still. Lesson learned I guess
    -> Sculpting small scale limbs in Greenstuff – Also Designed by Satan
    -> Working with wire to make the cables on the Skyline Laser Guns. Again, designed by Satan I stuck my fingers together about 15 times trying to glue all that stuff in place.
    -> Using metallic markers for trim highlights.

A bunch of other small details came out nice too,
    Drilling the exhaust holes on the mini, and drilling out a hole in the barrel of the hood MG. building the little ammo box on the Mini’s MG too was fun. Also really pleased with the Skyline driver, but Considering how hard they are to see VS the amount of effort to make, I’m not sure they’re worth it.

Anyway, here they are, Comments and Crit Welcome πŸ˜€
    d

Here’s also some WIP shots of the drivers / Cars in Progress:
    d
    d

Final thing! I’ve also been working on Something REALLY fun. Found that Matchbox make a TukTuk, and thought it would be a cool addition to the Biker gang. It’s actually a little bit big, so it looks more like a trike or 3 wheeled buggy, but I think it’s going to be cool!

I’m Really hyped about this model so taking my time. Currently I’ve just made the crew – resculpted the legs out of Greenstuff, headswapped them (yes the guy with the AR15 is wearing a spiky gimp mask), angled the rider’s arm.
    Got some details to add to the back, and then need to rebuild the roof/canopy thing.
    Anyway, more soon!
    d

Flappy
    Participant

Larger images for the above are on mah imgurrrrr
    http://isflappyfingersmyname.imgur.com

Nathan
    Participant

So inspirational mate! I really dig the orange hotrod. I’m still to shy to kitbash drivers, but you have inspired me to give it a go.

Flappy
    Participant

Thanks Nathan, glad you’re liking them. Yeah, I’m liking the orange hotrod too. All varnished up now, so I can actually game with it!

Anyhoo. Did a few more models this week. Some slightly weirder/more fun ones in this lot too.

First up, finished off the Junk tank. This was literally just the top part of the truck when I got it, so I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. Drilled out the turret (made from a spraycan nozzle) so that it can rotate around too πŸ™‚

View post on imgur.com

Then I finally finished up the Tuktuk that I’d been working on. This was a lot more fun to build than it was to paint πŸ˜‰ not 100% happy with how it came out, but I still think it’s a fun addition to the biker gang, plus sculpting and kitbashing the crew inside it together was super interesting.

View post on imgur.com

Next, The Billionaire. Played with this car as a placeholder in a game and thought it was a really cool model. Decided I’d try and do it up “Tastefully”. Tried to mould the guns into the lines of the body a bit so they look like they’re part of the car. Fun to practice more gold metallic stuff, and also play with glossy paints instead of matt for once. Thinking this could be the first of a crew of classic cars, all in this Gold/Black colourscheme.

View post on imgur.com

Finally a quick one. I got half way through doing this model and suddenly realised it was the Warthog jeep out of the Halo games. Kinda spoiled it a little bit for me.Anyway, now it’s some kind of Barbarian/Savage buggy, with a Berserker on the Turret.

View post on imgur.com

As always, theres bigger images on Mah Imgur but I doubt anyone reads this far anyway πŸ˜›

As always, comments / Crit / feedback / ideas welcome πŸ™‚

Jason Schmidt
    Participant

Lovely work!! What is the car you’ve built the Billionaire around? I keep seeing mods of it but I can’t locate the original.

Nathan
    Participant

Junk Tank is Wicked!

cpl_dixon
    Participant

@Jason Schmidt Here is the link to the car the Billionaire is built from: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Swoop_Coupe

speedfreek
    Participant

Just awesome!

Rik
    Participant

Wow, I love these! Brilliant work.

Jarrett Lee
    Participant

Imgur links don’t seem to work for me for some reason. This is amazing work – where are you getting all your conversion bits like weapons etc?

Regarding decals, use micro-set and micro-Sol, easy-peasy!

Diego Civetta
    Participant

Looove all the cars, they are amazing!! quick one out, maybe I missed the answer. The crew members and drivers, what scale are they? what kits did you use?

Thanks!

Flappy
    Participant

Hello all.

Sorry for the hiatus, I got addicted to the quick validation crack cocaine of posting images on the Gaslands Facebook instead.
    Please forgive me πŸ™‚

@diego Civetta @jarrett Lee

Thanks dudes! the crew and drivers are 1:72 scale miniatures, for the most part I’ve modified arms/legs/heads either to get the right look, or just to get the buggers to fit in the little seats!
    They’re mainly from the following brands:
    Plastic Soldier Company, Red Box, Caesar, Zvesda and Dark Alliance.
    There’s a full list of all the places I’ve sourced Stuff here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xzlj3BSl8gz9z_DitKz3ZUgDI0neievQg6FIZho2lIA/edit#gid=0

And Jarrett, thanks for the advice, I got some Set/Sol and it made all the difference, having a great time with decals now!

Anyway, I’ve been a bizzy bee the last month or so, bashing out a variety of different projects…

First up, the 2CV tank, for the KillBillies crew, uses a Matchbox 2CV for the base, plastic solider company tank tracks, sprue and wire and some S&S minis for the crew.
    s
    d
    d
    d
    d

Nxt, the SCREAMROLLER. A modified vintage steam roller.
    d
    d
    ddd
    f
    ddd
    gg

Next, a Mutant team for slime:
    d
    d
    d
    d
    dd
    dd
    dd
    gg
    dd
    bb
    dd

Then there’s 2/4 of the 4Aces:
    fg
    d
    v
    ddd
    vv
    bbb

And last, but certainly not the Least, my Miyazaki Pro team, the Kyoto Daggers.
    vv
    bb
    bb
    dd
    bb
    bb
    bb
    nn
    vvvv
    nnn

Dakratfink
    Participant

I think That TukTuk is really fun.
    Noticed one of your factions is called North Dakota speed freaks.
    Are you located in the Dakotas?

Bad.Credentials
    Participant

Oh man these are fantastic. Really inspiring work you’ve done on the vehicles here mate and great photography!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.