Forums Community The Garage Drew & Dixon's garage

Topic: Drew & Dixon's garage

James Hall
    Participant

Have you tried just brush painting the rusty browns and oranges on? Soraya can be dominating, covering things on the scale of small cars a bit too easily. Just dry brushing on some rust, or brushing a bit on around the corners could work wonders 🙂

cpl_dixon
    Participant

I’ve actually tried that and you can see how that turned out on one of my earlier cars. More specifically, this one:

I used the rust spray on this, but I sprayed it onto cardboard and painted it on.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Here is another rust-less vehicle, hopefully the last one. More to come eventually.

James Hall
    Participant

What is the size of the brushes you use? Because I get the feeling you need smaller brushes, and more controlled strokes to pull off the tight lines.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

I use these brushes: http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/5-Piece-Hobby-Brush-Set/p/727

But I don’t think that is the problem. The problem is my shaky hands and being one of the worst painters ever. In school, I always failed whenever I tried to paint. I am already aware that I am the worst on this site, but I’m like a sports team with 0 wins all season, I still try even if all hope has been lost.

But it is the apocalypse, everything does not have to be perfect. I have painted stripes on a car before, and it is extremely hard to get them lined up properly in real life.

James Hall
    Participant

It’s a tough one. I’ll never call anyone out on bad painting, because at the end of the day it’s better than No painting, and literally a toy car dropped on the table to be used as a game piece. Anything is better than zero effort, and hell, some of the stuff I painted when I first picked up a paint brush would make your eyes bleed (Got to love being 12).

Maybe it’s worth looking at using transfers. You know, from airfix kits and things.

Just keep doing what you’re doing man 😉

cpl_dixon
    Participant

I’ve looked into using transfers, but I really don’t have a use for them. Plus I like my lopsided painting, in my mind its like my crew just had a rough idea of what they wanted and they just painted on the car to make it look vaguely like what they wanted.

James Hall
    Participant

Can’t argue with that ;-P

cpl_dixon
    Participant

I think it is time for an update. I just noticed that I have been apart of GasLands for a little over a year and to celebrate, I have a full group picture and another thing I whipped up for the occasion.

As for the thing in the middle, it is to celebrate one year on GasLands. It is a water tower. I know this isn’t the right place to put it, but I don’t feel like making a terrain forum, so Im putting it here.

(Sorry for the potato quality on this image)

Now it is hard to see because of crappy lighting, but I have actually put some weathering onto the tower.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

I guess it’s about time for another post.

Not much to say about this one.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Time for an update. This one I teased back in September, but didn’t finish it until now.

Plus a bonus before and after pic!

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Just a heads up to everyone, I’ll be taking a break on making cars for a while. Hopefully there will be more to come but only time will tell.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

So, I figured I should just show a picture that has all of my cars in a row with no distractions or things that are not supposed to be in the garage forum.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

It has been a little while, but I finally have something to share. Nothing too special, I have more on the way.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Well, I figure I am long overdue for a new build. So, here you guys go. More to come soon-ish!

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Newest build, have a gander! The pictures make the car look black, but it is a Grape color.

Nathan
    Participant

Hey Dixon,
    I just went through your whole catalogue and its awesome to see your progression! Your detailing and attention to points of interest on each model had developed in leaps and bounds.

I really am inspired by your ability to signature each model, make it unique, y’know?
    The burnt out hotrod with rusted flames on the roof is a gem, and I’m really digging the chains holding the muscle coupe together.

Solid work mate!

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Thanks Nathan! Y’know, when I started creating these cars almost 2 years ago, I had no prior experience of modeling.

cpl_dixon
    Participant

Really hoping to get some new stuff up here soon. I have big projects in the works right now, but really have not had time nor drive to work on them.

Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.